The Jenna Devin Blog

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Barbie, Ken, and Juliet: Act 2, Scene 2


After searching for what seems like forever, I finally find Lindsay in the girls’ bathroom.  She’s looking in the mirror, fixing her makeup.  She doesn’t notice me at first until she catches a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror.  Lindsay then turns and glares at me.  I can tell that she’s been crying because her eyes are red and puffy, and mascara is running down her face.  It’s a whole new experience to see her like this; I’ve never seen her cry.  Lindsay is pretty much always completely composed and gorgeous.

“What do you want?” she barks.  “You want to come and rub it in my face that Alex wants you and not me?”

“No, Stephanie, of course not,” I say quickly.  “Alex and I have been looking for you.  We want to apologize.”

“Sure, whatever,” Lindsay says, rolling her eyes. 

“I mean it,” I say.  “I know we can’t exactly change what happened or make up for it, but we know that what we did was wrong, and we’re truly sorry.”  Lindsay doesn’t respond.  Instead she turns her back to me and stares blankly at the opposite wall.  I sigh and try again.  “Lindsay, I don’t know what else to say to you except that I’m really sorry.  I know I should’ve stopped myself, but you know how much I love Alex and how I’ve had a crush on him since junior high.  I just wish you would’ve taken my feelings into account before you went and knowingly started dating my crush.  It’s really been hard on me, seeing you with him.”

“What about me?” Lindsay asks indignantly.  “Do you think seeing Alex and you making out wasn’t hard on me, too?  I mean, he’s my boyfriend, for God’s sake!”

“I’m not saying that at all,” I say.

“Then what are you saying?” Lindsay asks.

I bite my lip and frantically search my mind for the right words.  “What I’m trying to say is we’ve both hurt each other, and…well…I thought maybe we could both forgive each other and try to move on.”

Lindsay turns around and faces me, a dead-serious and determined expression on her face.  “I might be able to forgive you, Celia, but I can’t forgive Alex unless he actually apologizes to my face.”

“I completely understand,” I say.  “I’ll go find him.”  With that, I dash off on another search.  This time being a search for the accused, not the victim, though he may become a victim too pretty soon…

  

No comments:

Post a Comment