The Jenna Devin Blog

Monday, May 12, 2014

“Love is Patient, Love is Kind”


Sitting outside on this warm, sunny, humid spring day, I decided to sift through my Bible.  I’ve gone to church my whole life and have pretty much always been active with leading music when I’m there, but I’ve never been an extremely religious person.  However, I consider myself to be very spiritual.  So, going to church for me is more about being inspired by and feeling spiritually-connected to certain passages in the Bible (but not taking any of them too literally) and certain beautiful, Christian songs.  So, true to my unique perspective, I randomly roamed my Bible for passages that particularly caused a spiritual reaction for me.  One that particularly struck me was the following, a famous verse about love:
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails” (1 Corinthians 13 4-8).
                
           I believe that love is the most powerful force in life and the source of all things.  Though love encounters hardships, it is always patient, kind, and forgiving.  What I think is the most amazing aspect about love is that it “rejoices with the truth.”  When we truly love one another we feel free to share our true selves and vice versa.  Love hides nothing.  The truth of who we are—our very souls—are right out in the open.  And when our souls (the truth) is seen, we can do all things; nothing is impossible because in these experiences of love we are seeing and feeling God and his love through the ones we love.  When loving another person, I believe that we are witnessing a glimpse of Heaven, of Truth, of the greatest love of all: God’s love.  We can take comfort in faith that no matter what evil forces and scary situations we may encounter, love will always vanquish its evil foes because love “always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres…and never fails.”





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I really like that passage, it's powerful :)

    ReplyDelete