The Jenna Devin Blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Love of Speed



Wind in my hair, racing down the road without a care.  There’s nothing quite like this feeling, though I suppose you could say that about almost anything really.  But it indeed is a uniquely free and exhilarating sensation.  Whether it’s riding a motorcycle, boating, riding a Ferris wheel, or driving my car fast with the windows down and the music up, it all brings my mood way up.

Riding on the back of my dad’s motorcycle is an especially liberating, sensory experience.  Unlike riding in the car, I’m completely exposed to the world around me and notice things that I probably would have never noticed while driving.  It’s a much more connected experience.  Passing by neighborhoods where people are walking or working in their front lawn, I feel so close to these individuals, like I could reach out and touch them both physically and emotionally.  I’m not separated from these people by a pane of glass, like I would be in a car; instead, they’re right there connected to me.  And as my dad makes it out of town and starts to increase the speed, I revel in the wind pushing and pulling at me; and most of all, I feel the speed.  It makes me feel so wild and free and worries fade away.  All there is is this moment.  I look down at the road, watching it fly by beneath me, the dotted lines of the road becoming a blur of motion, and in this moment the rest of the world seems to fade away and I feel like I’m flying.  No…I am flying, because reality truly is what your mind chooses it to be, and since I felt like I was flying then I truly was.

Another great speedy adventure is boating.  Pretty much it’s the motorcycle exhilaration plus water.  Oh wonderful water…so many fond memories out on the lake.  Ever since I was a baby, summer weekends were spent out boating on Swan Lake.  So, needless to say, there’s also a comfort—the comfort of familiarity—to boating, out on the water that I know so well, feeling the soothing thrum of the motor beneath me, the soft mist of waves splashing at my face as we speed across the lake.  Now I’m a mermaid…a flying mermaid…

…Riding a Ferris wheel.  There’s another fun experience, though the first time I rode a Ferris wheel wasn’t so much, initially at least.  I was in second grade and my older sister’s friend Michelle wanted to take a ride on the Ferris wheel with me and I was excited!  I’d never been on a Ferris wheel before…it looked so fun and it went up so high!  Once we got on the ride and the wheel began spinning however, my stomach went along with it.  I crushed my eyes closed and cringed at every up and down motion, but Michelle held my hand the whole time, and this gave me the courage to calm down and slowly start to get used to the sensation until I actually started to enjoy it.  The up and down spin became a fantastically fun experience, and now that I was able to open my eyes and look around without freaking out, I gazed in wonder at the view.  So high up, everything below looked so small: a dollhouse world.  Way up high in the Ferris wheel there’s a disconnect from the world below me and everything is edged with a cheery, adorably perfect veneer.  When I first get off the ride, that veneer lingers with me, and I think to myself: “What a wonderful world!”

One last experience I’d like to discuss is driving my car with the windows down and the music up.  Pair two wonderful things together—speed and music—and I've got pure magic.  My favorite song blasting on the radio, I bop my head to the music, air guitar-ing, shaking my body about, shuffling my feet, and singing along at the top of my lungs.  When I stop at a stoplight, the person in the car next to me sees my antics and either smiles and laughs at me…or gawks at me like I’m crazy.  Either way, I don’t care what that person thinks because in that moment I’m caught up in pure magic.  …And why should I feel wrong for experiencing that?

I remember when I first started taking behind-the-wheel for driver’s education and had my first time driving with my driving instructor...
One of the first things she commented about was her surprise at how fast I was driving.  Since I’m a shy, quiet person, she thought I’d be a slow, cautious driver.  But she doesn't know the true me: a speed demon with a deep love of speed.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment