The Jenna Devin Blog

Monday, February 10, 2014

The Little-Big Things



There’s nothing quite like a warm cappuccino on a bitter cold day.  Well, at least that’s the case for me.  A couple days ago I treated myself to one of these delicious treats, and I reveled in the warmth, coziness, and pure bliss it gave to me.  But as I was sipping on my cappuccino I lazily, randomly, in my cappuccino-induced-bliss, read what was on the disposable cup.  It said “Experience the Art of Coffee.”  For some reason I thought that sounded really cool and made me think of the “experience” of drinking coffee and the amazing effect that one little thing—such as this one little drink—can have on my emotions, my perspective, and my day.  I’m having a shitty day, I grab a cappuccino and suddenly my day is much better.  Maybe it’s not the best day ever still for me, but it at least is better than it was before.

I think it’s very important that we notice these little things in life that make us happy.  A couple summers ago I posted on my blog a list of things that make me feel happy/cozy and from time to time I like to read through them, especially when I’m feeling a little less than appreciative of my life.  This little list reminds me that no matter what may be going on in my life, there is always something to feel thankful for.  Life is beautiful, a wondrous gift.  We’re so blessed and lucky to live on this extraordinary planet.  To put this into perspective, if the balance between the negative and positive ions in our body were off by merely .00001%, then our bodies would be ripped apart!  We don’t realize how truly lucky we are and how every moment--no matter how dull it may seem—is an awesome gift.  I’m going to repost this list of things that make me happy/cozy below, and I encourage you to create your own list. Also, you should check out this website: http://1000awesomethings.com/.  It's a compilation of the awesome, little-big things of life.

So, be thankful for and enjoy the life you are living.  It is a wonderful one.  J

Things That Make Me Happy and/or Cozy

•Cappuccino with a sweet of some sort

•Cute or sparkly things

 •Hot chocolate on a cold winter's eve

 •Christmas lights

 •Watching Christmas specials

 •Prancing through the snow

 •Christmas Eve and Christmas morning

 •Cuddling with my kitties

 •Hugs

 •Oatmeal

 •Ice cream

 •Macaroni and Cheese, grilled cheese, cheese buns....CHEESE in general! (What can I say...I'm from Wisconsin! ;) LOL)

 •Baking, decorating, and eating Christmas cookies :P

 •Eating cookie dough, cake batter, and frosting while baking

 •All sweets in general :P

 •The crisp feel and smell of a winter's day

 •Daydreaming and philosophizing while floating around in my pool

 •The feel of the Sun on my face on a cold winter's day

 •Hot tubs!

 •The clean, bleach-like smell of motels

 •The smell of chlorine on my skin after a long swim in a swimming pool

 •Dressing up...especially into pretty dresses/gowns

 •The feeling of relief after a huge presentation or exam is done

 •The comfort of milk before bed...makes me feel like I'm a baby again

 •Taking pictures of nature

 •Stargazing

 •Shooting stars

 •Campfires

 •Cloud-gazing

 •Watching fireflies flit about

 •The thrill and freeness of tubing on the lake....Hakuna Matata!

 •Riding motorcycle

 •Comb jellies (they're jelly fish that don't sting, and they feel so amazing!! Squishy and warm)

 •Snorkeling in the ocean

 •Beachcombing

 •The tug of the ocean, pulling at my toes

 •The sound of the ocean's roar

 •Walking by the seaside

 •Pizza!

 •Word games

 •Hiking

 •Thunderstorms

 •The sound of rain

 •The roar of wind while I go to sleep, snug inside in my bed

 •Singing and listening to music

 •Dancing! (even though I suck at it)

 •Owl City concerts...the anticipation, exhilaration, and pure happiness

 •Disney movies

 •Going to the Zoo!

 •Cuddling with my stuffed animals

 •Singing while vacuuming

 •Shoveling while listening to my ipod

 •The smell of hotels

 •Reading late into the night until I almost doze off.

 •Kissing, cuddling, and hugs with my boyfriend

 •Coloring books/ coloring

 •Jammin' out to music in my car with the window down

 •Ocean-y blue colors

 •The scent of coffee

 •The smell of bread baking

 •The smell of sunscreen





No comments:

Post a Comment