The Jenna Devin Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Underwater Oasis




“Eva?  I’ve been trying to talk to you for a solid two minutes, but you’ve just been staring out into space.  Are you okay?” Harry asked.  His eyebrows wrinkled in concern as he examined my nervous face.  I looked away, hiding behind my curtain of light brown hair, and bit my lip, trying to figure out what to say.  I didn’t want to admit to him that I truly wasn’t okay, that I was scared to death.  I didn’t want Harry to worry about me, and I knew this was something that he really wanted to do; he’d been talking about it for months.  I didn’t want to be a spoilsport.  So, I decided on a balance.



“Um, yeah, sure.  I’m just a little worried is all, but I’ll be fine,” I said.



“You sure?  Because we don’t have to do this if you don’t feel comfortable doi--”



“I’m sure,” I interrupted, “but you’ll hold my hand the whole time, won’t you?  I don’t want to do this alone.”



“You’ll never be alone, from this moment on,” Harry said, gesturing dramatically and wrapping his arms around me.



“Oh, wow,” I teased. “That sure is original…..isn’t that from a Nickelback song?”  Harry gave me a mock-offended look, and then we both laughed.  Our laughter released the tension a bit, but I was still a bit uncertain, and Harry could tell.



He tried to reassure me.  “Seriously, Eva, everything is going to be okay.  We’ve got Michael here to teach us how everything works, and he’s a professional.  He’s been scuba diving his whole life.”  I could visibly see how excited he was.  His cerulean eyes were bright and his blond hair was adorably disheveled.  I still found myself amazed that I’d ended up with such an amazing husband, and I couldn’t stop looking at him. 



“What?  Is there something on my face?” he asked, absentmindedly putting a hand to his cheek.



“Oh. No, no…I’m just…never mind,” I said, blushing and breaking out of his enchantment.



“Ohhhkay…well, let’s get going!  We’ve got some scuba diving to do,” Harry said, taking my hand and jumping to his feet.  Yeah, I thought to myself, God help me.



----



After we’d gotten all of our scuba gear on (and, believe me, there was a lot of gear), Harry and I sat at the edge of the boat ladder, dangling our flippered feet above the edge.  My whole body was shaking, and my stomach felt sick.  I almost considered taking up Harry’s offer from earlier, but then I looked over at Harry.  I’d never seen him so happy; he looked like a little kid on Christmas morning. 



“Are you ready, Eva?” Harry asked.



“As ready as I’ll ever be,” I replied, with a shaky smile.  Harry smiled at me encouragingly, taking my hand.  I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and squeezed his hand as we both plunged into the ocean. 



----



The first thing I felt was the sting of salt water burning my face, and then I felt something tapping my arm.  My heart began pumping double-time, and my breath grew shallow.  Oh my gosh, I thought, it’s a shark! I’m going to die!  I quickly opened my eyes, and wildly looked around.  There was no shark; it was just Harry, thankfully, who was now gesturing impatiently.  As I took in the surrounding scene, my fears instantly disappeared.  Flashes of color swirled around me, and my eyes opened wide in awe.  Millions of fish, sea turtles, jellyfish, and countless other sea creatures swam around me and the towering pillars of coral of every shape and size that surrounded me.  It felt like I was living in a dream.  I tried to memorize everything I saw, every sensation I felt, so I could keep the memory forever.  A school of little yellow-and-black striped fish zoomed by, and a jellyfish drifted near my arm.  I flinched at first but then realized that it was a harmless comb jelly.  When I went to Florida as a kid I enjoyed scooping them up and holding them, letting their squishy bodies warm my hands.  Recalling this memory, I laughed at myself and reached out to touch the comb jelly.  Its familiar soft, warm body soothed me, and I became completely at ease.  The sapphire blue water was so clear that, when I looked downwards, I was able to easily see all the way down to the ocean floor.  The sight I then beheld took my breath away. 



Before me stood an adorable little house, standing on stilts.  It was painted sea green and had large, rounded windows.  Through one of these windows, I could see a bed and dresser.  It was so surreal, like a secret clubhouse deep beneath the sea.  Beside the little house stood a sign that read: “Jules’ Undersea Lodge: the World’s First Undersea Hotel.  Harry met my eye, and we both looked at each other in wonder.  He then took my hand and led me toward the hotel.  I shot him a questioning look, and he beamed back at me.  I suddenly realized why Harry had been so excited for so long.  It wasn’t just the scuba diving, it was the surprise he’d had in store for me: an undersea honeymoon.  I felt like I had entered a different realm of reality, which in some ways, I actually had.  I had entered the underwater realm, and it was the most enchanting place I’d ever known.  Harry gave me a look that said “Shall we?” and I nodded.  Hand-in-hand, we began to make our way down to the bottom, to Jules’ Undersea Lodge.



----



Shivering but full of excitement, I emerged out of the water, and into the Lodge, through a hole in the bottom of the building.  It was like emerging from out of the ocean and into a tiny swimming pool.  I swam to the deck of the pool and climbed out, curiously looking around me.  The room we had entered was very small, with a shower in the corner and a door on the back wall. 

           

“How does this place not fill up with water?  I mean, it’s completely open to the ocean,” I said.  “What if the place starts filling up with water while we’re sleeping?  We’d drown!” 



Harry chuckled, gaining an incredulous look from me.  “Don’t worry, dear.  It’s not going to fill up with water, and we’re certainly not going to drown.  The place is filled with compressed air.  There’s a cable hooked up to the hotel that brings fresh air and cable from land.”

           

“If you’re sure…” I answered.

           

“I’m very sure.  I read all about the place before we came,” Harry said, his head held high in pride.



I laughed at his self-satisfaction, releasing a bit of the tension, but the fear still lingered in the back of my mind.  I decided to try to forget about it though; no sense in ruining our honeymoon by worrying the whole time.  Continuing to look around, I suddenly realized just how cold I was; I was shaking and had goose bumps up-and-down my whole body.  Also, my eyes and face stung.  I scratched at my face and felt flakes of hardened salt rub off onto my fingers.  Harry wrapped his arm around me, pulling me toward him.



“Oh, dear, you’re chilled….and sticky.” He laughed. “Why don’t we take a nice, hot shower?”



“Th-that sounds w-wonderful,” I chattered, smiling back.



----



“Um, now what?  I have no clothes, except for my swimsuit, and I don’t want to put my swimsuit back on.  It’s so wet!”



Harry snorted and burst into laughter at this.  I glared at him.  “What’s so funny?” I asked.



He gazed back at me, mischievously.  “Well, why don’t you just go naked then?  That would be completely okay with me.”



I slapped his arm playfully and rolled my eyes.  “Ha ha, very funny,” I said. 



We had already finished showering and had begun to dry off before we had finally realized that we didn’t have our clothes with us (a couple of the Jules’ Undersea Lodge employees were going to bring our luggage down in special, water-proof cases).



“Well, hello!  Y’all must be Harry and Eva.”



Harry and I jumped in surprise, seeing two teenagers rising out of the water.  They both had shiny, black hair and sun-kissed skin and were sharing looks of amusement, holding back huge grins.  Harry and I both blushed beet red and snatched up a couple of towels, wrapping them around us as quickly as possible. 



     “We’ve got your clothes now, in case y’all want them,” the girl joked, as both her and the boy plopped down our suitcases.  “My name is Jenny, and this is Jerry.  We’ll be staying in the other end of the building.  If y’all need anything, we’ll be happy to help.  We’ll show y’all your room in a bit, but we’ll give y’all a…um…moment first.”  Harry and I blushed but thanked them, scrambling for our clothes.



----



Going through that door was like entering into my own piece of heaven.  I breathed in a sharp intake of air, and my mouth dropped.  Inside our room was a large, King-sized bed, decorated with fish pillows on a bedspread of dolphins.  There was a hot tub in one corner, and a TV and a dresser in the other, but the most striking aspects of this room were the walls and ceiling; they were entirely made of glass.  I kept turning around and around, gazing around at the beautiful sea life drifting above and beside me in the ocean surrounding me.



“So, do you like it?” Jerry asked, smiling.



“No,” I said, my eyes glued on the room before me. “…I love it.  This is…indescribable.” 



----





I opened my eyes, and a dolphin swam by above me, in the bright blue water.  Wow, what a vivid dream, I thought to myself, but then I remembered where I was.  I was lying in bed, with Harry’s arms wrapped gently around me, in a structure twenty feet below the ocean.  I rested my head on Harry’s chest, and he automatically wrapped his arms around me.  I smiled blissfully and continued to gaze up at the sea above me, like a sky filled with sea life.  In that place, in that moment…I’d never felt so at home.



----



I woke up to blinding, white light.  What is going on? I thought.  My head was filled with a ringing but it was oddly pleasant, and all I could see was brightness all around me.  I tried to move, but I couldn’t; my body was paralyzed. 



“HARRY!” I yelled, but no sound escaped my lips.  I was trapped in my own body.  Suddenly the light disappeared, and what I saw before me took my very breath away.  I was standing on shore before an immense boat.  The most unreal aspect of the scene was the color of the sea that this boat was floating on; it was the exact shape of a blue crayon, yet it looked completely natural.  I’d never seen anything look that blue without it being fake, dyed that way.  Wait a second, I thought to myself.  The word “dyed” brought a startling possibility to my mind.  Have I died?  An abrupt vision then filled my mind, and my life literally flashed before me.  Every sight, sound, smell, and feeling of every moment in my life somehow flickered through my head in a span of time that seemed like merely a few minutes.  The last scene I saw was Harry and I, sleeping soundly in our bed in Jules’ Undersea Lodge, unaware of the water that began to seep in all around us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment