The Jenna Devin Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Once Upon a Dream




'Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'”

–-Professor Dumbledore from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows



I jumped into bed, exhausted.  What a horrible day, I thought to myself.  Couldn’t I ever do something right?  No matter what I tried to do, I could never live up to the expectations of everyone around me, especially my parents.  Just that evening my parents, my older sister Melody, and I had sat down to dinner.  As usual, Melody began chatting excitedly about her friends, the big dance coming up in a month, and all of her classes that she was excelling in.  I sighed and picked at my meatloaf, thinking of how I’d never be as amazing as Melody.  She was smart, beautiful, popular, and friendly, pretty much as perfect as a Barbie doll.  I ate my meatloaf in silence, not wanting to bring any attention to myself and my endless flaws.  After a bit, however, my father turned to me.



“So, Lyra, how was your day?”



 “Good.”



“Did you make any new friends today?”



“Um, not really,” I said slowly, looking down at my plate.  I felt like I was going to cry, so I asked to be excused.  As I walked away, my mother and sister were whispering together in low voices, but I could clearly hear what they were saying.



“Melody, did Lyra sit alone at lunch again today?”



“Yeah.  I saw her while I was walking to my history class.”



“I don’t know what to do about her.” My mother sighed, and then addressed my father.  “Do you think we should have her see a psychiatrist?”



I froze, while a feeling of anger and fear crept over me.  No, I would not see a psychiatrist!  I was not some crazy person.  I was just an introvert and didn’t feel the need to talk and be with people all the time.  Why couldn’t people accept me for who I was?



In bed, I closed my eyes and waited for sleep to come, but it did not.  My mind was too full of thoughts of the evening, and they were weighing me down.  I tossed and turned but still couldn’t get comfortable no matter which way I turned.  Sighing and staring up at the glow-in-the-dark stars on my ceiling, I eventually slipped into a soothing, magical slumber.



----



 I opened my eyes, and there he was, sitting in a piece of moonlight at the foot of my bed, gazing at me.  Sitting up fast, I curled my legs up close to my body and flipped on the light switch.  I squinted in the blinding light for a few moments before completely taking in the scene before me.  This must still be a dream, I thought to myself, but the boy with the warm, chocolate eyes looking intently at me seemed far too real.



“Um, hello,” I said dreamily, half-asleep, “Wh-who are you?”  The boy looked like he had just woken up and was half-asleep as well, but he was still absolutely handsome.  His wavy brown hair was a bit ruffled, and he was wearing a navy blue shirt and pajama pants.  And those eyes…I felt like I was melting and willingly falling into a black hole as I gazed back into their warm, sweet depths. 



“My name’s Adam,” he responded.



“Oh.  Well, it’s…um…nice to meet you, Adam.  My name’s Lyra,” I flustered out.



“It’s nice to meet you, too.”



There was an uncomfortable silence as we both sat there, unsure of what to say.  I looked down at my fingers and began fidgeting with my nails, while Adam bit his lip and looked around the room.  Finally, he broke the silence.



“Umm…I have a question for you,” he asked. “Is this a dream?  It seems really real, but how would I have ended up here?  I have no idea where I am, and I’ve never met you before…” Adam looked around the room and bit his lip again.



I stared at him in disbelief.  He didn’t know if it was a dream or not either?  How peculiar.  Maybe this was real.  But…how?  “Well, I suppose I could…pinch you.  Then you’d know if you’re actually dreaming or not…and if you’re not dreaming, then you can pinch me to see if it’s me who’s dreaming!”  I laughed nervously, amazed that I’d had the courage to talk to this beautiful boy.



“Good idea!  Yeah, pinch me, please.”



I leaned over and clumsily pinched his arm.  We both looked away, feeling awkward.  Adam closed his eyes for a second and then opened them, looking around and still seeing me.  His eyes grew wide. “Woah.  I…guess I’m not dreaming.  This is just too weird.”



“Could you pinch me now?” I asked.



“Sure.”  Chills of delight ran down my spine as his warm fingers touched my cold skin, and when I closed my eyes and opened them again, Adam was still there.  Oh. My. God.  This was happening.  This was really happening.  I suddenly got light-headed and felt like I was going to faint.  Awful timing.  I put my head down and rested my hands on my forehead, taking in deep breaths. 



“Are you okay?” Adam asked.  His eyes shone with concern.



“Um, yeah.  I just need some water,” I said weakly as I got up out of bed.  I got up too fast, however, and the world turned black.  Nothingness.  Then, all of a sudden things came back into focus, fuzzily at first but slowly sharpening.  I felt, and blurrily saw, a warm hand brushing my hair away from my eyes.  When I could properly see again, I found Adam sitting right next to me, gazing at me with deep concern and holding a glass of water.  He blushed profusely, as he realized his hand was still resting on my cheek.



“Sorry,” he said quickly.



“It’s okay,” I said, gawking at his face.  I was completely enchanted by his very presence.  He seemed to radiate with beauty, like an angel or a star.  I snapped back into reality, as I noticed his discomfort at being stared at.  “So, um, what would you like to do?” I asked.



“It doesn’t matter, really.  Whatever you want to do is fine.”



“Well, are you hungry?  I could make some waffles or something…”



“Sure! That sounds great.”

----



That evening was absolutely enchanting.  A mixture of fireflies and stars lit up the night sky as Adam and I snuggled up together under a warm, fuzzy blanket, gazing up at the stars.  Suddenly a brief and glorious flash of white light whizzed across the sky.  We both stared with our mouths gaping, wonderstruck at the beauty of the moment.  I wish that this night, this moment, would never end, I thought to myself.  I closed my eyes and sighed in contentment as Adam held me close, whispering in my ear: “You’re my sweetest dream come true.”  I blushed and opened my eyes.  I looked into his eyes with intensity and said, “You’re my sweetest dream come true, too, Adam….if this really is reality.  I’m still not so sure…”



“Well,” Adam said shyly, “even if this actually is a dream, I still want you to know this as well: I’ll never forget you.”



“Never.” I nodded in agreement. “I’ll never forget you.”



Adam cradled me tightly against him as he began to softly sing lovely lullabies in my ear.  I snuggled up against his chest, closed my eyes, and drifted off into a sweet sleep. 



----



I woke up to blinding light drifting over my eyelids. When I opened my eyes, I looked around and found myself sitting in my backyard with a blanket wrapped around me, but Adam was nowhere in sight. Gone. Was it really a dream after all? I thought to myself. And was Adam waking up right now, wondering the very same thing?

The next month passed by slowly. I never figured out for sure what really happened, but I knew it couldn't have been a dream. Whenever I'd gaze up at the stars or light a candle, I could actually feel him all around me.  Sometimes when I was thinking about Adam, I'd have this feeling come over me that he was thinking of me at that very same moment.  I knew I had to see him again. 

----

I hated dances because, besides being socially awkward, I was also a terrible dancer.  Melody had almost literally dragged me to the school dance.  I moodily sat on a bench in the gym and gazed with envy at the dancers.  I wish Adam was here.  The instant I thought this, I sighed in contentment and drifted into my daydreams, pretending the couples out on the dance floor included Adam and me.  Suddenly I had this powerful feeling of déjà vu and a sense of exhilaration that I hadn't felt since……..and then a pair of chocolate brown eyes found me, and our eyes met. And I knew. It was real. The dream was real. Our eyes were locked on each other for a moment that seemed to last forever and be far too short, all at the same time. It could have been one hour, one minute, one second...I don't know.  Eventually I looked away, suddenly hesitant. I could feel Adam’s gaze still intensely focused on me, but I was too shy and couldn’t get the courage to meet his eye again. Adam eventually looked down at his feet, looking timid and perplexed. He drifted off to the door of the gym, but not before slipping a glance back at me as he closed the door and disappeared, leaving a trail of stardust behind.
























No comments:

Post a Comment