The Jenna Devin Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Blast from the Past!!......

Panama City Beach, Florida  Trip Journal 2007


 
Saturday, July 14th, 2007  
*Left Portage (Carimaunee Dr.) at 3:35 a.m. We planned on 4:00 a.m., but we were awake shutting the windows (it was storming).
*At approximately 6:45 a.m. we stopped at the wayside in Illinois by the windmills (Paw Paw, Illinois…we think)
*We stopped at Illini Prairie Rest Area for our breakfast (Little Debbie Donut Sticks) at 8:01 a.m. We left there at 8:18 a.m.
]*At 8:45 a.m. we got gas at Jumpin’ Jimmy’s in Mattoon, Illinois 325 miles.
*At 9:19 a.m. we were in Effingham, Illinois
*We left Rend Lake Wayside in Illinois at 10:40 a.m.  It was very busy!
*Left McDonald’s in Calvert City, Kentucky at 12:30 p.m.  We ate outside and fed the birds French fries! J  We noticed the first signs of southern drawl y’alls!  Also, we got gas at BP in Calvert City.  We were on the road by 12:40 p.m.
*Went through Nashville at 2:15 p.m.
*We stopped at the Alabama Welcome Center (Rocket Wayside) at 3:30 p.m.
*Passed through Birmingham, Alabama at 5:00 p.m…and it was raining (Déjà vu!)  We got gas right before Birmingham and didn’t have to wait for a bathroom there…for once!
*At 7:30 p.m. We got to Troy, Alabama and decided to stay at the Comfort Inn there for the night.

Sunday, July 15th, 2007
*We left Troy, Alabama at 9:00 a.m.
*Passed through Dothan, Alabama (Home of Troy University) at 9:48 a.m.
            We arrived in Panama City!  We checked into Beach Tower Resort Motel at 1:00…we love it!  The balcony is awesome.  We’re on the 5th floor in Room 503.  Before we got to the motel we stopped at Walmart for our groceries and it was REALLY busy!!!  We ate a quick lunch after that and got down to the beach by 2 ish…it started raining, but didn’t last long.  We collected some cool shells and a few hermit crabs even!  Dad and I swam underwater with a few funny friendly fish friends.  They weren’t colorful (they were gray), but they were still funny!  They swam by our feet and nibbled our toes.  I plan on taking a picture of them with my underwater camera sometime before we leave.  It’s now 7:10 p.m. and we’re thinking about going to Alvin’s…Laterz!
At Alvin’s I got to hold a live baby alligator!  The guy just handed him to me…it was cool! J  He felt arm and rumply/scaly.  Later on we looked for ghost crabs…we found a few.  They’re so fast and look like little spiders running by your feet.  Gittin’ late…Laterz, y’all!
Monday, July 16th, 2007
On our first full day, we got up @ 8:30 a.m. and got down to the beach by 10:00 a.m.  The tide was high so Dad stopped by Publix to get 2 tubes.  We rode the waves until 2 ish when we started to get hungry for lunch.  We ate Garlic Bread Pizza…yum!  Later @ about 3 ish we played Frisbee until it stormed @ 4 ish.  Mom was @ Alvin’s…so we saved her! J LOL
Tuesday, July 17th, 2007
Today we went to St. Andrew’s.  We snorkeled @ the jetty and saw a flounder, crabs, and a few other tropical neon fish.  Later we went to the other side of the jetty to where the ocean is wavier and brought the tubes out to do some wave riding…and later we saw dolphins!!!  They came pretty close to shore.  I think they were maybe after the big fish that were in the water near us.  It was SO awesome! J  They’re such majestic and beautiful creatures.  And guess what?!  We’re going to go swim with dolphins tomorrow!!!  I’m so excited!!!! J J J J
Wednesday, July 18th, 2007
Ah!  Today was the most momentous day of my life so far!!  We went on the Island Time dolphin/snorkel cruise @ 12 p.m.  We had to be there @ 11:30 a.m. and we didn’t leave ‘til 11:50 ish so it was pretty hot waiting…but well worth it!  First, we went snorkeling in shallow water (about a little over chest-deep and shallower) by Shell Island.  We found sand dollars, crabs, sea urchins, star fish, puffer fish, other tropical fish, and some other strange things.  It was cool snorkeling in the sea grass.  I felt safer in the sea grass than by the rocks at the jetty.  It was shallower and you weren’t afraid of running into rocks and such.  The water was very warm in spots and in others not (at the snorkel spot).  Once we were done snorkeling, we set sail, ate a lunch consisting of a turkey sandwich with mustard, chips, and soda…and found the dolphins!!  It was a mad rush getting into the water. Kicking everywhere and such…  It was the most exciting feeling when all of a sudden there was a dolphin underneath me!!!!! J  I could see its cute little teeth while he ate few small fish.  It was also cool hearing the dolphin clicking under the water…kind of soothing actually.  I’ve read stories and books about dolphins having healing powers and after swimming with them, it seems very plausible to me that dolphins could do that.  I was hoping I’d be able to touch the dolphin, but I was still really close…I almost could have! J  IT WAS SO AMAZING!!!! I wish we could’ve swam with them longer…forever…<3
Thursday, July 19th, 2007
Today was Mom’s 45th b-day (yesterday was Mom and Dad’s 26th anniversary).  Today was kind of a chillin’ day.  We went shopping for a bit in the morning, and then we swam/tubed in the ocean and the pool.  Right now we’re thinking about going shopping/walking again…          Laterz y’all! J J
Friday, July 20th, 2007
Today we went to St. Andrew’s again.  We only snorkeled at the jetty side because the water was very weedy and icky on the other side.  There were tons of jellyfish at the jetty today.  I was close to being stung by this rainbow-bright flashing little jellyfish.  It was right in front of my nose!...but Dad wasn’t as luck.  He got stung!  He says it feels like going through burning nettle.  He put some sand and vinegar on it to stop the burning.  For aquatic life today we saw flounders, a shrimp getting attacked by fishies, a cute yellow fish (I saw it only), a sword fish, a big angelfish-sized dull blue and white fish (only I saw it), etc…  This time @ the jetty, we went over the rocks to where the drop-off was.  It was pretty cool because there were big schools of fish and very clear water.  It was also scary though because it was very deep and wavy.  Also today we went to Moby Dick’s gift shop and I got a souvenir for Lisa and myself.  It’s so adorable!  They’re cute little snow globes with fake ocean water and cute dolphin figurines inside that float around.
Saturday, July 21st, 2007
Today was kind of another chillin’ day (our last day! L).  We went to the ocean and the pool.  It’s fitting for today that I had a stomach ache…since it’s the last day. L…but it will be very nice to see Buzzy and sleep in my own room and such.  I miss Buzzy.  Even though he can be ornery sometimes, I still know that he loves me and that I love him. J  I’m not looking forward to going to Band @ 6:30 a.m., though…ugh! L  So…that ‘tis de day!  Laterz alligatorz!!! J
Sunday, July 22, 2007
8:37 a.m.- This morning was very sad…we left Panama City Beach @ 6 a.m. ish.  I said goodbye to the ocean and I think (and I want to believe this) that I saw a dolphin jumping, for the last time for me, to say goodbye.  We’re thinking about stopping @ Troy to eat breakfast in a few miles…
8:50 a.m.- We ate breakfast @ Burger King in Troy, Alabama.  I had 6 pc Cheesy Tots and a few mini hash browns.
4:05 p.m.- We’re almost getting close to Illinois.  We didn’t stop for lunch…we just ate some snacks in the car (Cheetohs and crackers) because we weren’t really that hungry and I had a stomach ache.  Right now we’re in Paducah, Kentucky.
4:21 p.m.- We just crossed the Illinois border and entered Metropolis, the home of Superman. (Dad wanted me to put this in…LOL)
9:05 p.m.- We arrived in Tuscola (love the name...it’s fun to say! J), Illinois @ 7:30 p.m. to stay @ Super 8 Motel.  The showers were squeaky and were “Gerber” brand…LOL!  No pool here, but it’s still pretty nice.  For dinner I tonight I had an Extra Cheesy Pizza Lunchable. J
Monday, July 23rd, 2007
7:22 a.m.- We got up this morning @ 6:45 a.m. and left our motel by 7:15.  On the way out, Dad and I grabbed a donut.  Dad’s was apple-filled and mine was raspberry-filled.  It was pretty good.  It’s supposed to take about 5 ½ hours to get home so we should be back by 12:30-1:00 ish.
9:20 a.m.- At 9:05 a.m. we stopped to eat breakfast @ Burger King in Wenona.  I had 3 pc french toast sticks.  They were really good! J  I was going to get 4 pc Cini-minis, but they were all out of them. L  So…I kind of ate twice, didn’t I? (Bad Jenna!...LOL)  The bathrooms were squeaky in Burger King (seems like a lot of things were squeaky lately…LOL) and the dryer could’ve blasted you away…literally! LOL
9:55 a.m.- Just passed the windmills
10:02 a.m.- Stopped @ Willow Creek Rest Area.  The stalls were really spacious…LOL
10:58 a.m.- We’re finally in Wisconsin and out of Flatlander territory!  We just passed the Wisconsin Welcome center and there were some people getting their pictures taken in front of the “Wisconsin Welcomes You” sign…crazy!  I just saw a sign that said Madison is in 53 miles…we’re getting closer!
11:46 a.m.- Portage is now in 26 miles!
11:56 a.m.- Portage is now in 15 miles!
12:11 p.m.- *sings* ta dah!!! We’re in downtown Portage!!!
Prologue:  It was weird opening the garage door and seeing Buzzy…I hadn’t seen him in so long that I almost forgot what he looked like!  He looked so adorable, greeting us with cute little meows and rubs.  It felt weird going in the house, too.  I felt like the house wasn’t where I lived and I felt like it was huge!  Now it feels like I haven’t even left…but I will always have the memories to remind me that I did indeed leave the house…for the best vacation of a lifetime.

Dedication: This journal is dedicated to Kevin and Vicky Homan (my mom and dad).  I wouldn’t have been able to go on this trip without them!!  Thanks so much for all you do for me every day of my life!










No comments:

Post a Comment