The Jenna Devin Blog

Monday, July 21, 2014

little words


                Do you ever have those moments when someone compliments you (on your outfit, your hair, your actions, or your personality), and you’re left with a warm fuzzy feeling inside of you that completely makes your day?  I have these moments occasionally and whenever this happens I can’t help but smile hugely.  It’s especially wonderful when someone compliments me on a day in which I have low self-esteem or am just overall feeling down.  These moments make my day.  It’s amazing that no matter how little the compliment is, it still has a huge effect.  It can be more than just someone saying “I like your dress” or “You are such a nice person.”  Other times it can be something funny a person says, and it lightens your mood and alleviates your stress…or it could be a thought-provoking comment, which tests your own beliefs and helps you grow spiritually and intellectually.  What all these have in common is this: the comment is little but filled with thoughtfulness and love.

                
                Many times I pass by people I’ve never met before, and I notice something about them that I’d like to compliment them on, but I’m afraid to.  For one, I’ve never spoken to this person before, so that’s awkward from the start, and then secondly, I’m afraid that my compliment is stupid.  However, as I walk away, I always regret not telling the person what I was thinking.  Deep down I know that everyone loves to be given a compliment, but the shy and hesitant side of me convinces me that confronting a person I don’t know is just too embarrassing to handle.  I need to disregard the shy and hesitant side of my mind and instead embrace spontaneity.  If it weren’t for spontaneity, after all, I would never receive the little unexpected compliments and comments that I love so much.  It may be scary to speak your mind and let people know how you feel, but it’s worth the risk because the little things you say could potentially make a huge difference in someone’s life, filling the empty place in that individual’s heart with a warm glow.



No comments:

Post a Comment