The Jenna Devin Blog

Monday, June 23, 2014

Dancing to the Songs in my Head



               
There’s something magical about the effect that dancing has over me.  I’ve never been a very great dancer, but I highly enjoy it.  When I dance, I feel like I’m floating on air and am filled with a sense of ecstasy.  In this moment, I am completely me.  It’s an activity that involves both the body and the soul, so I become in tune with the both of them and the two become one. 

Dancing didn’t always feel this way for me, however.  I used to be much more self-conscious about how I danced, especially in junior high and high school, but once I graduated from high school and went to college, I realized that I didn’t care what other people thought of me.  So what if they thought I was a horrible dancer?  I mean, they’re right, but being talented is not what dancing is about.  It’s about the pure joy, the wonderful feelings that dancing brings.  Growing up helped me realize that I don’t have to please everyone in order to be happy.  The only person I need to please is myself.  As long as I do what I love and what I think is right, that’s all that matters.


When I dance, the whole room disappears.  All I can see is the world twirling around me, the world suddenly so bright and vivid, and all I hear and feel is the music.  Even if the song I’m dancing to isn’t one that I like all too much, dancing makes the song much more amazing.  When I’m feeling any strong emotion (happy, sad, angry, or lonely), dancing can always help me work through it.  The music becomes me, and all of my troubles disappear.  Oh, the wonderful power of music and dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment