The Jenna Devin Blog

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Barbie, Ken, and Juliet: Act 1, Scene 3


 
 
“Let’s get this party started!” the DJ calls out. 

Cheers erupt from all of the dancers…all except one.  “Let’s not,” mutters Darth Vader.  He groans and tries to escape, but I grab his hand again. 

“Don’t be such a party pooper!” I tease, giving him a playful swat.  Glancing at Darth Vader, however, I notice that he’s standing stiff and awkward, wringing his hands nervously.  He appears distressed and nervous, and I regret having forced him out onto the dance floor.  “It’s okay.  There’s nothing to be afraid of,” I reassure him.  “I mean, even if you did make a fool out of yourself, no one knows who you are with your costume on.”  …Including me, I think to myself, wondering if I’ll ever figure out who he really is.  I must admit that I’m curious.  Then again, maybe it’s better that I don’t know…

“That’s true,” Darth Vader says, his voice a tad bit brighter.  Well, as bright as it can be when one has the voice of Darth Vader at least…

“Yes, it is true, so let’s dance!” I say.  And dance we do.  Darth Vader pleasantly surprises me.  He starts out dancing a bit uneasily, still nervous, but after a couple more songs, he’s completely into it and actually dances pretty darn good.  As the night progresses, the music gets more and more high-paced, so our dancing gets more and more energetic to match.  Darth Vader really starts to get into it, and there’s an electricity in the air that makes me feel high.  I’m high on Darth Vader: the way he moves and the heat of his body close to mine.  Eventually, the high reaches a crash, and we both take a break to catch our breath.

“Wow.  You lied to me,” I say, panting.  “You can dance.  That’s for sure.”

“I honestly don’t know where that came from,” Darth Vader says.  “Seriously, I always suck at dancing.  I’m too self-conscious about it, I guess.  Tonight though, for some reason, I felt…free.  It’s probably the costume.  You know, knowing that no one knows who I am and all.”

“Well, you definitely don’t need to feel self-conscious,” I say.  “You are an amazing dancer.”

“Thanks,” he says shyly. 

There’s a moment of awkwardness, which is even more elevated by the sudden change in music.  The lights change to a muted navy blue, and the DJ calls out, “It’s time to take it down a notch and to grab that special someone.  It’s ‘slow dance time.’ ”   I blush and look down at my hands.  We stand there, uncertain and shy, until I see Darth Vader shakily take my hand.

“Would you…like to dance with me, Juliet?” he stutters. 

I beam and wrap my arms around him in place of a verbal answer.  My chest flutters with happiness as we slowly twirl around the room, Darth Vader holding me close.  I want to capture this moment and keep it forever.  Sadly, the song ultimately comes to an end.  We stop dancing but don’t release our hold on each other.  I sigh blissfully, but in the back of my mind I feel a sudden urgency to know his name.  I don’t want to leave without even knowing his name or seeing the face beneath the mask.  My heart skips a beat as I realize how I could go about doing this.  I hesitate, but then just tell myself: go for it!  “Darth Vader, would you remove your mask, so I may kiss you?” I ask.

“Of course,” he says.

Darth Vader slowly removes his mask.  When it’s completely off, I gasp in surprise of the face that is revealed.  “Oh my God…….Alex?!”

No comments:

Post a Comment